IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law, Chicago, Illinois. J.D. with honors, January 1987.
Knox College, Galesburg, Illinois. B.A. 1982, Major in Political Science.
J.D. Darnell High School, Geneseo, Illinois, 1978.
United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 1987.
United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar, 2003.
United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, 1993.
United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois, 2016
Mahoney, Silverman & Cross, Ltd., Joliet, Illinois. Attorney. Concentration in commercial litigation, municipal litigation, personal injury litigation, and appeals. 2001 – Present.
Cole & Staes, Ltd., Chicago, Illinois. Attorney. Concentration in commercial litigation and appeals, including criminal appeals involving RICO, extortion, search and seizure, and evidentiary issues arising in criminal trials. December 1989 – 2001.
Lord, Bissell & Brook, Chicago, Illinois. Attorney, general torts group. June 1989 – December 1989.
Judicial Clerk to the Honorable Lawrence D. Inglis, Illinois Appellate Court, Second District. 1987- 1989.
Over 40 Appeals, including the following published cases:
- Harer v. Casey, 962 F.3d 299 (2020)
- In re Estate of Gerulis, 2020 IL App (3d) 180734
- Coldwater v. Village of Elwood, 2020 IL App (3d) 190247
- In re Liszka, 2016 IL App (3d) 150238
- Republic Bank of Chicago v. Village of Manhattan, 2015 IL App (3d) 130379
- Cromwell v. City of Momence, 2013 U.S. App. LEXIS 7374
- Khan v. Bland and Champaign Housing Authority, 630 F.3d 519 (7th Cir. 2010).
- Humphrey Property Group, L.L.C. v. Village of Frankfort, 392 Ill.App.3d 611 (3d Dist. 2009).
- Village of Frankfort v. Illinois E.P.A., 366 Ill.App.3d 649 (1st Dist.2006).
- Department of Natural Resources v. Brauer, 339 Ill.App.3d 723 (3rd Dist. 2003).
- Robinson v. Ada S. McKinley, Ada S. McKinley Community Services, Inc., 19 F.3d 359 (1994).
18 Bench trials. 4 jury trials.
Multiple mediations and arbitrations, including being an arbitrator.
Over 100 depositions.
- Eminent Domain Jury Trial obtained over $9 million in total compensation.
- Obtained $4.6 million judgment after trial as co-counsel on behalf of landowner. Judgment included findings of fraud and punitive damages.
- Obtained approximately $1 million of work for client in mediation where claim was brought against client for $1 million in damages.
- Obtained $400K judgment on letter of credit which bank had refused to honor based on expiration.
- Obtained reversal on appeal of $800,000.00 contempt order.
- Obtained $1 million policy limit settlement in wrongful death case.
- Arbitration before American Arbitration Association concerning ownership issues relating to company with annual revenues of $20 million.
AV Rating from Martindale Hubbell
Recognized as a “Leading Lawyer” in Commercial Litigation by the Leading Lawyers Network
Recognized as a “Leading Lawyer” in Civil Appellate Lawby the Leading Lawyers Network
Top rated speaker for materials and presentation in continuing legal education seminar.
Illinois State Bar Association (Member Civil Practice and Procedure Section 2002-13, Member Judicial Advisory Polls, 2016- present).
Will County Bar Association.